Friday, June 7, 2013

When Styles Collide

What do you do when you like this

(via Miss Mustard Seed)

and this

 

(via BHG)

at the same time? 

Or this:

(via coco+kelley)

and this:

(via ish and chi)

What would your house look like?  (Mine would probably look like a 90 year old woman trying to be 20s cool.)  Is there a way to marry very different styles so they complement rather than compete?  I’m sure there is, I just don’t know how to do it yet.  I am a chef by training and when I was in cooking school we learned all about fusion cuisine…taking elements [in this case, ingredients and cooking methods mainly] from various cuisines and combining them in different ways to create new eating experiences.  As you can imagine, this can go very very wrong, but it can also be great…as in the case of a very amazing white chocolate ginger cheesecake served with a chili toffee ginger sauce that I had at a restaurant called Wagamama way back in the day.  Oh yum. 

So…fusion decor?  I’m trying to figure out how to do it without it looking ridiculous.  Or maybe it shouldn’t be mixed anyway. 

I’ve been thinking about this a lot (and I don’t really have the answers…not an expert here!) as we shift gears from an old home to most likely a much newer home.  With our 1927 home I always felt very comfortable decorating in a more vintage style, and I have loved that!  I do think that the interior of the home should be similar to the exterior so it isn’t a huge jolt when you go inside a traditional home to see a modern interior or vice versa.  So, with a newer home as a possibility, I’m wondering what to do.  Try to make the home look older?  Go more colorful and modern?  Or maybe mix a little?  Hmm.  Fun possibilities, but a little bit of uncharted territory for me. 

I guess I’ll have to wait and see.  I’m sure my 90 year old self in neon capris will go along with whatever. 

1 comment:

  1. Mix it all together baby!! As long as something match...EVERYTHING doesn't have to be from the same style or era!!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to hearing from you!