Monday, September 16, 2013

This and That and Planning a Big Girl Bedroom

This morning was one of those crisp fall mornings when you feel like you can get everything on your to-do list done…if only for a few hours. :)

I’m working outside on one of our front flower beds that is in sorry shape today and although I’m tethered to a box of Kleenex due to my awful fall allergies, I’m still enjoying the beautiful weather.  Fall always makes me a bit nostalgic.  :)  Plus it is really nice to be able to garden without breaking a sweat or fighting with mosquitos!

We celebrated our older son’s 3rd birthday over the weekend.  He had a lot of fun and so did we watching him enjoying his cake and presents.  He got some Playmobil knights which he is just ecstatic over.  I made him a cake using this recipe and I have to say it is one of the better (and easiest!) chocolate cakes I have tasted recently (though nowhere near as good as the Pannacotta Chocolate Cake my husband makes me for my birthday!!!).

IMG_6934 

It was one of the easiest cakes to decorate.  Spread some green frosting, throw some crushed oreos on, plunk a clean tractor on top, and call it done!  Nothing fancy but he was happy with it. 

In the meantime, I have been slowly working on our oldest’s bedroom.  She is five and is quite a girly girl.  I haven’t done much with her room since we moved in…so it is moving to the top of the priority list.  The wall color was and is a deep greenish blue.  I actually really like the color, and immediately thought that it would look great with white and pink accents for a girl’s room (but would also be great as a boy’s room).  You can get an idea of the wall color from this picture:

IMG_6791_1edit

If I ever figure out how to do a mood board I will make one up to show what I have in mind…but for the meantime I’m working on some cheap but meaningful art for her walls.  Here’s a sneak peek:

IMG_6929

Sorry for the awful picture (taken at night) but you get the idea.  I’m going for cheerful, girly, a little eclectic, and a little glam.  I’m thinking white and varying shades of pink/orange/yellow, some wood tones, and some gold in there too.  That little stitched heart in the embroidery hoop at the bottom right is the first thing she ever stitched (out of the two things she ever has…haha!).  It is more precious to me than to her but I thought it was appropriate for her walls. 

It will take me a while I’m sure at the pace I’m going, but it is fun for both of us to plan!  Now, if I could just figure out a way to get her to keep her room clean…

2 comments:

  1. What a fun cake! And I love the art/ color scheme for the room.
    I don't really know anything about room design/ decorating, but it's always hard for me to be patient and take the time to look for the right things, or wait for cheaper prices when I have an idea in my head. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! Oh I know, when I have an idea I am like a train...and I need to be more like a city bus--stopping here and there to take on stuff for each project.

      Delete

I look forward to hearing from you!